Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Opposed to capitalism.
left-wing, fabian, syndicalist, utopian socialistView synonyms
- ‘The lions at the base of Nelson's Column sported the latest anti-capitalist graffiti.’
- ‘Both gained popularity on an anti-capitalist ticket following the financial crisis.’
- ‘The world elite is becoming more scared of the anti-capitalist movement.’
- ‘Even the anti-capitalist movement shies away from the idea of revolution.’
- ‘Johannesburg was an important stage in the development of the anti-capitalist movement.’
- ‘In Seattle at the very end of the 20th century a new anti-capitalist movement was born.’
- ‘The G8 summit takes place this month in the Canadian Rockies, specially chosen to avoid anti-capitalist protesters.’
- ‘For the third year running, anti-capitalist youth have teamed up with local unions for May Day demonstrations in downtown Minneapolis.’
- ‘They played a free gig for anti-capitalist protesters at the European Union summit.’
- ‘The anti-capitalist, anti-imperialist nature of the current movement means we are starting from a much higher political level.’
- ‘The anti-capitalist movement marks the emergence of a new generation of politically thinking youth.’
- ‘In August an astonishing 300,000 people joined an anti-capitalist festival at Larzac in the south of France.’
- ‘Commentators declared the anti-capitalist movement dead at the start of the year.’
- ‘Now there are three major anti-capitalist events coming up.’
- ‘This is part of the legacy for the present new wave of anti-war anti-capitalist radicalisation.’
- ‘The play, of course, was an adaptation of John Gay's The Beggar's Opera, cunningly modernized into an anti-capitalist satire.’
- ‘Such a movement will need to take an anti-capitalist direction.’
- ‘Police are preparing to meet the threat posed by anti-capitalist protestors in London on 1 May by monitoring their evolving plans on the Internet.’
- ‘The last period has seem massive movements of young people develop in the form of the anti-capitalist movement.’
- ‘There's an interesting anti-capitalist thread running throughout the film.’
A person who is opposed to capitalism.
- ‘In fact, the younger Packer seems to have been neither a dedicated anticapitalist nor an uncritical advocate of the welfare state.’
- ‘Tony Blair urged fellow EU leaders yesterday not to yield in future confrontations with anti-capitalists who disrupted their Gothenburg summit.’
- ‘For example, saying that you hate capitalism is a powerful credential indicator to another anti-capitalist.’
- ‘Workers and anti-capitalists in struggle must educate and develop stewards, witnesses, legal expertise and our own media.’
- ‘In the meantime, any self respecting anti-capitalist could do worse than trying to catch this play.’
- ‘They offer models of 'global unionism' for trade unionists and anti-capitalists everywhere.’
- ‘It's strange me being a sleeping anti-capitalist working in a business that is all based on money.’
- ‘Instead the vast majority of anti-capitalists became part of the anti-war mobilisations.’
- ‘And anti-capitalists, pro-democracy groups, students, parents and others are planning to take to the streets in a mass, peaceful protest.’
- ‘The task of anti-capitalists is rather to work towards separating national liberation from nationalism.’
- ‘But he fails to acknowledge the equally unreasonable scorn heaped on the anti-capitalists' ideas by conventional politicians.’
- ‘In turn, the anti-war movement strengthened the anti-capitalists.’
- ‘It is unfortunate that the movement against sweatshops is usually led by anti-capitalists.’
- ‘The other involved 50,000 anti-capitalists who marched to where the summit was held.’
- ‘He doesn't sound hopeful, pointing out that the Prague anti-capitalists, for all their passion, are a small group of agitators.’
- ‘Any serious anti-capitalist who wants to act within really existing social relations cannot neglect the national movement.’
- ‘Indeed, she has pinned a large portrait of the anti-capitalist on her living room wall.’
- ‘Workers in Rotterdam harbour had struck for 24 hours, and young anti-capitalists pulled down a mock statue of the prime minister.’
- ‘Each total is almost twice the entire number of anti-capitalists who turned up to the London Mayday event.’
- ‘And I doubt whether the government feels threatened by fascists in the way it feels threatened by anti-capitalists.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.