One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A blood protein produced in response to and counteracting a specific antigen. Antibodies combine chemically with substances which the body recognizes as alien, such as bacteria, viruses, and foreign substances in the blood.
- ‘A surprising result [of the research] was that we could even make mice make antibodies to their own proteins.’
- ‘In its attempt to protect the body, it creates specific antibodies to the food.’
- ‘If you've already had it, your body has produced antibodies that fight the virus if you come into contact with it again.’
- ‘There were always free antibodies; there were antibodies in the blood for some weeks.’
- ‘The levels of immune globulins and of certain antibodies in the blood may indicate a problem in the immune system.’
- ‘When exposed to an antigen, that is a virus or a bacterium, the body produces antibodies.’
- ‘Local government staff took blood samples from each truckload to test for virus antibodies.’
- ‘In MS, the fluid may contain white blood cells, high levels of protein and certain antibodies.’
- ‘A healthy body develops antibodies, which hopefully resist the antigens, by binding on them.’
- ‘An antibody is any protein that is released in the body in direct response to infection by an antigen.’
- ‘New therapies based on proteins and antibodies would stop in their tracks chronic diseases such as cancer.’
- ‘Bcells are white blood cells which defend the body against viruses and bacteria by making antibodies.’
- ‘Secondly, this membrane sheet is treated with a solution containing an antibody to the protein of interest.’
- ‘An antibody is a protein which recognises a foreign molecule, known as an antigen.’
- ‘You have an immune response to the vaccine as your body develops antibodies to the virus.’
- ‘HIV infection is detected using a blood test that looks for antibodies created by the body as it tries to fight the virus.’
- ‘For example, if you are of blood type A, your body will generate antibodies to attack the B protein.’
- ‘A blood test can detect antibodies to the hepatitis C virus and a positive test shows that you have been infected.’
- ‘But if you have hay fever, your body produces antibodies in response to pollen.’
- ‘We can reduce levels of that substance by introducing into the body antibodies that specifically recognize it.’
Early 20th century: from anti- + body, translating German Antikörper, from anti- ‘against’ + Körper ‘body’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.