Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An antagonistic association between two organisms (especially microorganisms), in which one is adversely affected.See also symbiosis
- ‘The direct mechanisms involved in this protective effect include competition, antibiosis, and mycoparasitism.’
- ‘Antibiosis is often caused by the production of toxic chemicals by the plant.’
- ‘The types of resistance bred into resistant hybrids are ‘tolerance’ and ‘antibiosis.’’
- ‘The plates were incubated at 28°C and observed for antibiosis after 24 hours in case of yeasts and 96 hours in case of moulds.’
- ‘An example of this process, called antibiosis, is provided by marigold roots, which release chemicals that are toxic to several species of fungi.’
Late 19th century: from anti- + a shortened form of symbiosis.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.