One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
attributive Active against bacteria.
- ‘The worldwide emergence of bacterial resistance to antibacterial agents has produced a need for new methods of combating bacterial infections.’
- ‘They typically come in a bar, gel or liquid form, and are less drying than are deodorant and antibacterial detergents or soaps.’
- ‘After drying the skin, treat the burn with an antibacterial agent.’
- ‘In this day of antibacterial everything, it's hard to imagine bacteria being beneficial.’
- ‘You may be prescribed antibacterial, antifungal or antiviral drugs on an ongoing basis to guard against infection.’
- ‘Bacteria that causes eye infections is sensitive to the antibacterial action of honey.’
- ‘Also, taking antibacterial antibiotics when you have a viral infection may be harmful.’
- ‘The assault on bacteria in the household has fuelled great interest in antibacterial products.’
- ‘They also have antifungal, antiviral and antibacterial properties against pathogens.’
- ‘Manufacturers use our national fear of germs to sell antibacterial soap.’
- ‘It's antibacterial, so you're killing the bacteria that causes the disease.’
- ‘The herb also contains antibacterial compounds that may kill the bacteria responsible for the infection.’
- ‘For added protection, a swipe with an antibacterial wipe knocks out plenty more germs, so pack a few in your carry-on.’
- ‘Echinacea has also been used externally on wounds and is reported to have antibacterial and antifungal properties.’
- ‘Antibacterial prescribing and antibacterial resistance in English general practice: cross sectional study’
- ‘Recent reports have lent support to the potential use of previous generation antibacterial drugs to treat infections caused by new resistant bacteria.’
- ‘If only I could focus on the story instead of where I put my antibacterial hand gel…’
- ‘Garlic's compounds also have antibacterial and antifungal properties.’
- ‘The antibacterial soap kills most germs, while regular soap washes bacteria from the skin or transfers it to a towel.’
- ‘Do antibacterial soaps get rid of germs better than plain old soap and hot water?’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.