One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in computer graphics) a technique used to add greater realism to a digital image by smoothing jagged edges on curved lines and diagonals.
- ‘It offers up to 50 percent performance improvement in ray tracing with antialiasing, as well as other feature improvements.’
- ‘Well anyway you may only want to play the game in 1024x768 with this level of antialiasing enabled.’
- ‘Support of full-screen antialiasing (supersampling and multisampling with 2 to 4 samples)’
- ‘We now have 3D hardware capable of simultaneous MIP-mapping, anisotropic filtering, and antialiasing in real time, at 60 frames per second in many titles.’
- ‘In three more games the speed proved to be limited by the CPU performance despite our using full-screen antialiasing.’
- ‘The industry's fastest antialiasing delivers ultra-realistic visuals, with no jagged edges, at lightning-fast speeds.’
- ‘On my system, which is middle class at best, I have all features maxed out, even enabled antialiasing, and I still get enjoyable framerates in cities.’
- ‘This, however, often comes at a more substantial performance penalty and some games don't get along well with antialiasing, so you'll want to experiment a bit and perhaps revisit this control panel.’
- ‘Using full-screen antialiasing was out of the question altogether.’
- ‘Also, edge antialiasing is used to keep the image ‘jag’ free and clean.’
- ‘This way, the game engine can look its best, and we can focus our attention on only three knobs and levers: pixel resolution, antialiasing and anisotropic filtering.’
- ‘I was wondering if anyone can explain what it is exactly that anisotropic filtering and antialiasing do.’
- ‘We believe that running at higher levels of antialiasing would generate unplayable frame rates, so we didn't test with higher settings.’
- ‘The old-fashioned method of antialiasing is called super sampling.’
- ‘The technology's intelligent antialiasing captures a higher-resolution version of each image, then resizes and resamples it for output to your screen, smoothing away imperfections.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.