Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(in computer graphics) a technique used to add greater realism to a digital image by smoothing jagged edges on curved lines and diagonals.
- ‘Also, edge antialiasing is used to keep the image ‘jag’ free and clean.’
- ‘We now have 3D hardware capable of simultaneous MIP-mapping, anisotropic filtering, and antialiasing in real time, at 60 frames per second in many titles.’
- ‘This way, the game engine can look its best, and we can focus our attention on only three knobs and levers: pixel resolution, antialiasing and anisotropic filtering.’
- ‘The industry's fastest antialiasing delivers ultra-realistic visuals, with no jagged edges, at lightning-fast speeds.’
- ‘On my system, which is middle class at best, I have all features maxed out, even enabled antialiasing, and I still get enjoyable framerates in cities.’
- ‘It offers up to 50 percent performance improvement in ray tracing with antialiasing, as well as other feature improvements.’
- ‘In three more games the speed proved to be limited by the CPU performance despite our using full-screen antialiasing.’
- ‘We believe that running at higher levels of antialiasing would generate unplayable frame rates, so we didn't test with higher settings.’
- ‘Using full-screen antialiasing was out of the question altogether.’
- ‘Well anyway you may only want to play the game in 1024x768 with this level of antialiasing enabled.’
- ‘The old-fashioned method of antialiasing is called super sampling.’
- ‘I was wondering if anyone can explain what it is exactly that anisotropic filtering and antialiasing do.’
- ‘The technology's intelligent antialiasing captures a higher-resolution version of each image, then resizes and resamples it for output to your screen, smoothing away imperfections.’
- ‘Support of full-screen antialiasing (supersampling and multisampling with 2 to 4 samples)’
- ‘This, however, often comes at a more substantial performance penalty and some games don't get along well with antialiasing, so you'll want to experiment a bit and perhaps revisit this control panel.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.