Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(chiefly of a drug) used to reduce inflammation.
- ‘Eczema is treated with the use of anti-inflammatory medication such as steroids.’
- ‘Managing symptoms with paracetamol or non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs is usually effective.’
- ‘Moreover, she was not taking non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs or aspirin.’
- ‘The evidence supporting use of analgesics and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs in osteoarthritis was recently reviewed.’
- ‘Tranexamic acid and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs are the treatments that work best.’
- ‘Before, she constantly needed anti-inflammatory drugs and occasionally narcotic pain medication.’
- ‘Pain medication consists of an opioid, a spasmolytic agent, and nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs.’
- ‘In these situations oral non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs are contraindicated.’
- ‘Corticosteroids are anti-inflammatory medications often used to treat asthma.’
- ‘These three nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs reduce pain and fever.’
- ‘Lastly, the study looked only at the prescription of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, not at the actual intake of the drugs.’
- ‘The answer to many common complaints is to treat them with antibiotics, anti-inflammatory drugs, painkillers or steroids.’
- ‘In some cases, your doctor may recommend anti-inflammatory drugs, a cortisone injection or even surgery.’
- ‘The following day she had to go to the doctor to receive anti-inflammatory tablets and painkillers.’
- ‘The initial goal of treatment should be to alleviate inflammation by using ice and anti-inflammatory medications.’
- ‘If necessary, drugs such as paracetamol or non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs were prescribed on a time contingent basis.’
- ‘High doses of aspirin and other anti-inflammatory medications can sometimes ease mild symptoms.’
- ‘Her friend recommended trying non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs for pain relief because these drugs have no alcohol restrictions.’
- ‘Successful treatment of these acute microcrystalline events depends on early use of an effective and safe anti-inflammatory drug in full dosage.’
- ‘This is of particular concern with stimulants and anti-inflammatory steroids.’
An anti-inflammatory drug.
- ‘And I was taking anti-inflammatories, but it gave me tummy problems.’
- ‘These treatments include antibiotics, anti-inflammatories, immune modulators, anesthetics and alternative remedies.’
- ‘Analgesics and anti-inflammatories relieve aches and pains and reduce fever.’
- ‘If aspirin doesn't work for you, other anti-inflammatories to try include ibuprofen, naproxen and keoprofen.’
- ‘After anti-inflammatories and physiotherapy, steroid injections are usually next on the menu for rotator cuff injuries.’
- ‘Minerva has often wondered whether advice to take anti-inflammatories rather than paracetamol for acute swelling and pain holds up.’
- ‘Drugs such as anti-inflammatories can cause gastro-intestinal bleeding, which also increases iron loss.’
- ‘Painkillers (such as paracetamol and codeine) or anti-inflammatories (such as ibuprofen) may help to control the pain if the symptoms are mild.’
- ‘Have anti-inflammatories or steroid injections been shown to be of any benefit?’
- ‘Painkillers and anti-inflammatories can be sprayed or rubbed onto the joint.’
- ‘The alternative with Western medicine would have been simply to prescribe both of those patients analgesics or anti-inflammatories of some sort.’
- ‘Her general practitioner discussed the benefits and harms of paracetamol versus non-steroidal anti-inflammatories and gave her a decision aid to help her clarify her decision.’
- ‘You would think from reading that excerpt that the only anti-inflammatories available were inhaled steroids.’
- ‘The mechanism may be unrelated to what these drugs do as anti-inflammatories.’
- ‘They refuse decongestants, non-sedating antihistamines, even nonsteroidal anti-inflammatories for pain because they're afraid they'll be grounded.’
- ‘Common approaches to controlling pain include simple analgesics, non-steroidal anti-inflammatories, acupuncture or dry needling, ice, ultrasound, and transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation.’
- ‘Although it's probably true that anti-inflammatories delay healing in general.’
- ‘These anti-inflammatories, usually taken orally, can be changed into gels and applied topically.’
- ‘There will be some discussion of natural product anti-inflammatories isolated from marine organisms.’
- ‘You can take analgesics such as paracetamol, or anti-inflammatories to reduce any swelling.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.