One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A tropical American plant often grown elsewhere for its ornamental foliage or brightly colored flowering spathes.
- ‘The house has a picture perfect garden with anthuriums and an old fashioned pond.’
- ‘Similarly, other potted flowering plants, including anthuriums and bromeliads, are becoming important.’
- ‘The demand for flowering plants like orchids and anthuriums is higher during summer.’
- ‘There will also be special sections for anthuriums and orchids.’
- ‘To their great surprise, they find only hybrid species like orchids, anthurium and some bonsai varieties.’
Modern Latin, from Greek anthos ‘flower’ + oura ‘tail’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.