One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Relating to or denoting the current geological age, viewed as the period during which human activity has been the dominant influence on climate and the environment.
- ‘In the Anthropocene era, freshwater will be in different places where it exists at all.’
- ‘The idea that we have already entered an Anthropocene Era exaggerates our impact on the Earth.’
- ‘The Earth has entered the so-called Anthropocene Erathe geological era in which humans are a significant and sometimes dominating environmental force.’
- ‘Well, if we bring extinction events closer to home, there is our very own omnipresent, continually unfolding, late Holocene (or early Anthropocene, according to some) extinction event.’
- ‘Human impact on climate has made this the "Anthropocene Age."’
- 1.1as noun the Anthropocene The Anthropocene period.
Early 21st century: from anthropo-, on the pattern of Holocene, Pleistocene, etc..
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.