One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of insects or other animals) frequenting flowers.
- ‘The elongate, loose inflorescence usually bears 4 10 brilliantly rose-coloured flowers which completely lack nectar or other food for anthophilous insects and thus act by deceit.’
- ‘At least seventy-one families of Diptera contain anthophilous species, and flies are pollinators of more than eleven hundred species.’
- ‘Adults of some Dolichopodinae have elongate mouthparts and are known to be anthophilous and feed on nectar.’
- ‘This foraging profile overlapped with those of all anthophilous insect families, all bee subgenera, and all species of nectarivorous birds that were encountered.’
- ‘However, anthophilous birds appeared to mostly forage higher in the trees and probably consumed more nectar from, and provided more pollination services to, flowers higher in the trees.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.