One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1technical Nearer the front, especially situated in the front of the body or nearer to the head.‘the veins anterior to the heart’The opposite of posterior
forepart, fore, foremost part, anterior, forefront, nose, headView synonyms
- ‘The anterior cruciate ligament joins the back of the inside of the thighbone to the outside front of the shinbone.’
- ‘The aortic arch is anterior to the trachea, and the descending aorta is on the right side.’
- ‘A second separate irregular sacculated pouch was located anterior to the first in the septum and anterior left ventricular wall.’
- ‘Physical examination revealed a golf-ball-sized lesion fixed to the hyoid bone in the anterior midline of the neck.’
- ‘Operative findings revealed a mass within the left broad ligament, predominantly anterior to the uterus and crossing the midline.’
- 1.1Botany (of a part of a flower or leaf) situated further away from the main stem.
- ‘Usually the lateral stamens emerge first, then the anterior stamen.’
- ‘One anterior petal is missing as well as a posterior stamen.’
2formal Coming before in time; earlier.‘there are few examples of gold and silver work anterior to the dynasty of the Romanoffs’
earlier, previous, preceding, foregoing, antecedent, advance, preparatory, preliminary, initialbefore, until, till, up to, previous to, earlier than, preceding, leading up to, in advance of, ahead of, ante-, pre-View synonyms
- ‘Since documentary is defined by the viewer's attribution of relevance to the anterior event, the deployment of the zoom and the viewer's reception of it is a very precarious situation.’
- ‘It is not contemplated that these prior, anterior selves and actions may be in fact constituted by, or be the effects of, the signs and codes that supposedly reflect them.’
- ‘In some anterior time, the burial mound had been desecrated, its jeweled contents taken away.’
Mid 16th century: from French antérieur or Latin anterior, comparative of ante ‘before’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.