One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
attributive Last but two in a series; third last.‘the antepenultimate item on the agenda’‘the antepenultimate syllable’
- ‘West African speakers tend to have antepenultimate word stress.’
- ‘Moreover, in the antepenultimate chapter of the novel, when the narrator reflects on his project, he intimates that he has been writing a novel all along.’
- ‘Paradoxically, the sagacious and shrewdly written new column entitled ‘Nightmarch’ is hidden away at the bottom of the antepenultimate page.’
- ‘This, as the copy editor Steve Pickering liked to say, is the antepenultimate paragraph.’
- ‘Afficionados and adepts will recognize the last item as the words of Joel Beinin, the antepenultimate item as the words of Mahatma Gandhi, and the penultimate item as the motto of Faber College in Animal House.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.