One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An insect that resembles a dragonfly, with predatory larvae that construct conical pits into which insect prey, especially ants, fall.
Family Myrmeleontidae, order Neuroptera
- ‘However, when excluding one outlier, the ant lion, the correlations are again significant.’
- ‘Catching dragonflies, collecting wasps' larvae, playing with ant lions and locusts, and learning to make cages from straw are all traditional summer activities.’
- ‘This was also found in at least one other insect species, the ant lion.’
- ‘What's more, does anything except the odd ant lion and rare aardvark eat ants?’
- ‘I was up to my waist, and as each wave receded I was being pushed forward, and the sand was being dragged from beneath me, in much the same way as an ant lion catches its prey.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.