One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A tape recorder or digital device which supplies a recorded answer to a telephone call and can record a message from the caller.
- ‘The Data Protection Commissioner has received a number of informal complaints about a recorded message left on the answering machines of some companies last weekend.’
- ‘During the day, I had the brilliant idea that we should call everyone I could think of and leave darling little messages on their answering machines.’
- ‘We tried mobiles, got answering machines and left messages we knew would not be heard until morning.’
- ‘I telephoned the postal sorting office about this delay and left a message on their answering machine, but no response.’
- ‘When I got into my apartment, there was a message on the answering machine from my mother.’
- ‘The threat was recorded by a telephone answering machine and a case was opened at Park Road police station.’
- ‘Josh didn't answer the phone so Cody left a simple message on his answering machine.’
- ‘First on the list has got to be people who don't leave messages on answering machines.’
- ‘We bought an automatic answering machine for our telephone, since we were out so much.’
- ‘The answering machine tape records Vinny chatting to the taxi driver.’
- ‘After leaving messages on several answering machines, I start getting calls back.’
- ‘I learned of the news when my editor left a message on my answering machine in the early hours of the morning, asking me to come straight into work.’
- ‘Don't record a message on your answering machine or voice mail that says you are gone.’
- ‘You are advised against recording a message on the answering machine telling people that you are on a holiday or away.’
- ‘As he walked by the phone in the den he saw that there were 3 messages on the answering machine.’
- ‘When the family communicates, usually it's by email or messages on their answering machines.’
- ‘And Mark, still hopelessly pursuing a woman in the office, leaves a message on her answering machine.’
- ‘Open the shades, listen to your answering machine messages and vow never to drink again.’
- ‘He could dial in from any telephone and send a code signal to prompt the answering machine to replay its messages.’
- ‘From the corner of my eye I noticed the message light on my answering machine was blinking.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.