One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A tape recorder or digital device which supplies a recorded answer to a telephone call and can record a message from the caller.
- ‘We bought an automatic answering machine for our telephone, since we were out so much.’
- ‘When I got into my apartment, there was a message on the answering machine from my mother.’
- ‘He could dial in from any telephone and send a code signal to prompt the answering machine to replay its messages.’
- ‘The answering machine tape records Vinny chatting to the taxi driver.’
- ‘The threat was recorded by a telephone answering machine and a case was opened at Park Road police station.’
- ‘After leaving messages on several answering machines, I start getting calls back.’
- ‘Josh didn't answer the phone so Cody left a simple message on his answering machine.’
- ‘First on the list has got to be people who don't leave messages on answering machines.’
- ‘We tried mobiles, got answering machines and left messages we knew would not be heard until morning.’
- ‘Open the shades, listen to your answering machine messages and vow never to drink again.’
- ‘During the day, I had the brilliant idea that we should call everyone I could think of and leave darling little messages on their answering machines.’
- ‘The Data Protection Commissioner has received a number of informal complaints about a recorded message left on the answering machines of some companies last weekend.’
- ‘As he walked by the phone in the den he saw that there were 3 messages on the answering machine.’
- ‘From the corner of my eye I noticed the message light on my answering machine was blinking.’
- ‘Don't record a message on your answering machine or voice mail that says you are gone.’
- ‘I telephoned the postal sorting office about this delay and left a message on their answering machine, but no response.’
- ‘When the family communicates, usually it's by email or messages on their answering machines.’
- ‘You are advised against recording a message on the answering machine telling people that you are on a holiday or away.’
- ‘And Mark, still hopelessly pursuing a woman in the office, leaves a message on her answering machine.’
- ‘I learned of the news when my editor left a message on my answering machine in the early hours of the morning, asking me to come straight into work.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.