Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Responsibility for explaining or justifying one's actions.‘the answerability of governments to the citizens’
responsibility, liability, answerabilityView synonyms
- ‘We call for transparency and answerability in all the organization's dealings with asylum seekers.’
- ‘Beyond neighbourhoods, policing then needs what I would describe as answerability, at the level of the services centred in large towns.’
- ‘The personal majesty of the monarch, as the final subjectivity of decision, is above all answerability for acts of government.’
- ‘The majority proposal states that this is an imperfect solution, and it is, specifically because it damages the answerability of MPs that it sets out to improve.’
- ‘We are convinced that it would do nothing to enhance accountability and answerability to the public and runs the unacceptable risk of the far-right taking control of our police service.’
- ‘The government is keen to find a way to separate the agencies that spend the money from the agencies that monitor the implementation to bring in greater answerability.’
- ‘I remember a time when the Prime Minister was very strong on answerability by the Government to the Opposition.’
- ‘Rather than concentrating on answerability to detailed government rules, more flexible mechanisms of accountability that encourage responsibility-taking are essential for governance.’
- ‘The security of the state and its subjects against the misuse of power by ministers and their officials lies directly in their hierarchical organization and their answerability.’
- ‘If ministerial answerability cannot be adequately established, the question cannot be accepted and would ultimately be disallowed by the Speaker.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.