One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Correspond to a description, especially one of a suspect issued by the police.‘he answers the description of being slightly taller than his two supposed companions’
match, fit, correspond to, be similar to, conform to, correlate toView synonyms
- ‘I have a number of documents in my possession which answer the description of the documents described in the subpoena.’
- ‘Beat officers were alerted, and asked to look out for any car answering the description of the one in the area at the times reported.’
- ‘One can postulate that a person who is born here, has lived here all their life, has parents who are citizens, may well be a person who could not possibly answer the description of an alien.’
- ‘He answers the description of the murder suspect.’
- ‘Yes, but is there any finding at any stage that, as a matter of general law, Mr Downes' client answered the description of a person who had ‘the right to decide the possession, disposition and use of the vessel’ owned by her husband?’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.