One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A plutonic rock composed largely of calcic plagioclase.
- ‘Coarse-grained anorthosite is the predominant rock type in these bodies.’
- ‘An area that contains over 90% anorthosite is currently being quarried near the preserve.’
- ‘Because of the preponderance of the mineral anorthite (a calcium-rich variety of the mineral plagioclase feldspar) this rock type is called anorthosite.’
- ‘The plagioclase crystals would have formed subcircular lenses of anorthosite that punctuated background chromite accumulation.’
- ‘Wood's second audacious - and completely unsubstantiated - claim was that all the lunar highlands were made of the rock anorthosite.’
Mid 19th century: from French anorthose ‘plagioclase’ + -ite.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.