A mosquito of a genus that is particularly common in warmer countries and includes the mosquitoes that transmit the malarial parasite to humans.Compare with culex
- ‘Malaria is generally a tropical disease transmitted by the bite of an infected female anopheles mosquito.’
- ‘Of the thousands of mosquito types, only the genus anopheles transmits malaria to humans.’
- ‘Millions of people die each year from malaria, which is transmitted through the bite of the anopheles mosquito.’
- ‘The anopheles mosquito, carrying the scourge of malaria, was the unwitting executioner of thousands of European soldiers sent to garrisons in the West Indies, Africa, or India.’
- ‘Among a dozen mosquito types in Milan, experts are keeping a close eye out for the anopheles mosquito which is capable of transmitting malaria.’
Late 19th century: modern Latin, from Greek anōphelēs unprofitable, useless.