Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1The positively charged electrode by which the electrons leave a device.The opposite of cathode
- ‘One is a photosensitive cathode which emits electrons when exposed to light and the other is an anode which is maintained at a positive voltage with respect to the cathode.’
- ‘As soon as the circuit of the lead storage battery cell is closed and the cathode and anode are connected, the reaction begins and electrons flow from the anode to the cathode.’
- ‘Meanwhile, copper atoms in the positive anode give up electrons and dissolve into the electrolyte solution as copper ions.’
- ‘At one electrode, the anode, molecules of hydrogen gas break down into electrons and positively charged hydrogen ions.’
- ‘Gaseous hydrogen and oxygen flow separately around either side of two electrolytic plates serving as anodes and cathodes.’
- 1.1The negatively charged electrode of a device supplying current such as a primary cell.
- ‘The fuel cell also needs moisture in the electrolyte as well as water at the anode to control the supply of methanol.’
- ‘Current can only flow from the anode to the cathode, but not the other direction.’
- ‘Oxygen enters at the cathode, where it combines with electrons and is split into ions that travel through the electrolyte to react with fuel at the anode.’
- ‘The rods serve as negative electrodes, or anodes, and the tube serves as a positive electrode, or cathode.’
- ‘Because electrons originate at the anode in a voltaic cell, the anode has a (-) charge; electrons enter the cathode, which has a (+) charge.’
Mid 19th century: from Greek anodos way up from ana up + hodos way.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.