One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The action of annexing something, especially territory.‘the annexation of Austria’
seizure, occupation, invasion, conquest, takeover, appropriation, expropriation, arrogationView synonyms
- ‘The annexation of Eritrea by Ethiopia in 1962 started off a bitter 30-year war of independence.’
- ‘There were senators calling for the conquest and annexation of the whole of Mexico.’
- ‘Seemingly the entire world agreed that Iraq's invasion and annexation of Kuwait should be reversed.’
- ‘Only a small part of the conquered territories suffered outright annexation.’
- ‘In Wales the threat of English invasion and annexation did not impose unity.’
- ‘Conquest and annexation of Zululand was completed only in the 1890s.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.