Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A large phylum that comprises the segmented worms, which include earthworms, lugworms, and leeches.
- ‘These comparisons strongly support the closer relationship of Sipuncula with Annelida, to the exclusion of Mollusca and other taxa.’
- ‘Click on the buttons below to learn more about the Annelida.’
- ‘Some molecular phylogenies place Sipuncula with Annelida, a grouping that implies that molluscan cross pattern of early spiral cleavage evolved several times independently.’
- ‘Analyses including a variety of annelids and molluscs do not show Annelida and Mollusca as monophyletic, and the Ectoprocta are usually polyphyletic too.’
- ‘For the first time, GHF9 cellulases were recognized in two new animal phyla, in Annelida and Echinodermata (sea urchin).’
- ‘It is possible that Annelida may not share with many other animals the potential to use a variety of alternative initiation codons.’
- ‘Two phyla that are probably close relatives of the Annelida, the Pogonophora and Echiura (spoon worms) are very rare as fossils, but all three groups belong to the larger group Trochozoa.’
- ‘Echiurans were included in the Annelida until recently, and they are still considered close relatives of the annelids.’
- ‘One of the two vascular hemoglobins possesses a hexagonal-bilayer hemoglobin (HBL-Hb) quaternary structure, which is only found in the Annelida and Vestimentifera.’
- ‘Indeed, a few Vendian fossils, such as Spriggina, were once assigned to the Annelida; however, this identification is now doubted.’
- ‘Over the past 100 years, evolutionary origins of siboglinids, echiurids, myzostomids, and sipuculans have all been related to Annelida.’
- ‘The term Polychaeta may no longer be valid because Polychaeta is likely a synonym for Annelida.’
- ‘The lower metazoan groups Gastrotricha and Gnathostomulida, but also Onychophora, Annelida, Mollusca, and Enteropneusta would be the most relevant taxa.’
- ‘The initiating embryological tissue varies a good bit within the Annelida, and even between adult and larval segments.’
- ‘Segmented worms or Annelida, Latin for little rings, are all seen on the reefs too.’
- ‘They are members of the phylum Annelida, the group that includes segmented worms such as leeches, tube worms, and the familiar earthworm.’
- ‘Based on the available data, both McHugh and Rouse and Fauchald recommended that the Glade revert to its original nomen, Siboglinidae, within the Annelida.’
- ‘Cycloneuralia may belong within the Ecdysozoa, including all molting invertebrates, while the Gnathifera are more closely related to either Platyhelminthes or Annelida.’
- ‘The gut pH of Arenicola marina ranges from 5.4 to 7.0 and is fairly typical for the Annelida, although the pH for other groups can be more extreme.’
- ‘The two largest groups of trochozoans are the Mollusca and the Annelida (segmented worms).’
Modern Latin (plural), from French (animaux) annelés ringed (animals) from Old French anel a ring from Latin anellus, diminutive of anulus a ring.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.