Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A segmented worm of the phylum "Annelida", such as an earthworm or leech.
- ‘The position and composition of these cells suggests that they are homologous to the gliointerstitial cell system of molluscs, sipunculans, annelids echiurans.’
- ‘After examining the opening of these traces, it is tempting to assign their origin to the behavior of vermiform borers such as annelids, sipunculids, or phoronids.’
- ‘Most biologists are familiar with only a few of the approximately 40 extant animal phyla such as annelids, arthropods, molluscs, echinoderms and chordates.’
- ‘Arthropods, chordates and annelids are the three segmented phyla in the animal kingdom.’
- ‘The annelids include earthworms, polychaete worms, and leeches.’
- ‘Silurian ramphoprionid polychaete annelids, represented by their jaws, are described from extensive collections from Gotland, Sweden.’
Relating to or denoting annelids.
- ‘When present, the annelid peritoneum either rests directly on the muscle cells or is separated from them by a layer of extracellular matrix.’
- ‘These differences in expression domains indicate changes in the regulation of these genes somewhere in the annelid lineage.’
- ‘It is clear that two different hydrophobic motifs are conserved in annelid species.’
- ‘If reptiles could develop into birds then annelid worms could develop into insects.’
- ‘These genomes have remarkably similar gene orders to previously published annelid genomes, suggesting that gene order is conserved across annelids.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.