Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The chief bone of the ankle joint; the talus.
- ‘‘Direct and sustained pressure should not be applied to the area between the ankle bone and heel on both sides of the foot,’ she adds.’
- ‘Last year I suffered badly from bruised ankle bones, so I was desperate to find a good solution.’
- ‘The beating ended with a final blow to the back off Alia's leg, just a few inches above the ankle bone.’
- ‘Furthermore, the astragalus and calcaneum, ankle bones, are greatly elongate, providing an additional level in the legs of frogs, which they utilize in jumping.’
- ‘The lower tibia and fibula epiphyses form the lumps that we see and feel at the sides of our ankles and call ankle bones.’
- ‘I can still walk fine, but at the end point of flexion there is some tightness and pain around the inside ankle bone.’
- ‘It hit my leg and my ankle bone before settling down on the top of my foot.’
- ‘After dancing in long-running shows like Chicago, Kiss Me Kate and Thoroughly Modern Millie, he had to have part of his left ankle bone removed.’
- ‘The bones which constitute the ankle are the two long bones of the lower leg (tibia and fibula), which articulate with a short ankle bone called the talus.’
- ‘Bruce Latimer, director of the Cleveland Museum of Natural History in Ohio, said an ankle bone and tibia discovered at the site proves the creature walked upright.’
- ‘The flats I had chosen to wear on my feet had not been made for walking, and I could feel a small blister developing just under my ankle bone.’
- ‘The remains include a complete tibia and shoulder blade, as well as parts of a femur, ribs, vertebrae, collarbone and pelvis, as well as an ankle bone.’
- ‘He needed to make sure the procedure was even feasible, that the tissue around a human ankle bone was soft enough to be penetrated by sutures.’
- ‘The transplant, carried out last week, involved the implant of the entire ankle joint including ankle bone and cartilage.’
- ‘The ankle bone sits within the ankle "Mortise" or hinge which is made up of the two leg bones, the tibia and fibula.’
- ‘After applying the anesthetic Marcaine to the area, Morgan sewed in three stitches directly through the skin and attached them to both ligament and deep connective tissue located next to the ankle bone itself.’
ankle bone/ˈaNGkəl bōn/
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.