One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Behavior that is characteristic of or appropriate to animals, particularly in being physical and instinctive.
- ‘In the eighteenth century madness was seen as either animalism, best controlled by harsh restraint, or as imbalances in bodily humours, treated by bleeding.’
- ‘You lust for me with a fierce animalism but you're also bewitched by my mind and my soul.’
- ‘The example given is that of the obligation to become a subject, to place oneself above the basic human animalism.’
- ‘He had never seen such a display of unadulterated animalism before, and could only wonder what her mother must've been like.’
- ‘The, ‘Flight or Fight’ mechanism is Mankind's last direct link to animalism, which Civilisation still seeks to expunge from the human psyche.’
- ‘McCann refuses to sanitize or romanticize sexuality's raw animalism.’
- ‘‘This insanity of his can be excused,’ she said with a glint of animalism in her eyes.’
- ‘If the idea was to match Steed's well-aged charms with Gambit's brash animalism, it doesn't gel.’
- ‘In this sublime tangle, Sethe commits an ‘unnatural’ act in order to achieve the eminently cultured end of saving her children from the barbarism, the animalism, of slavery.’
- 1.1 Religious worship of or concerning animals.
- ‘The exhibit looks at animalism and concepts of femininity, sexual fetishes, seduction, excess, coquetry and class standing.’
- ‘The Pagan religion was a mixture of genealogy, politics, and education based largely on ancestor worship. It was not the "idolatry" and "animalism" that Biblical religion has made it out to be.’
- ‘I would surmise that the original religion was animalism, leading to the worship of Nature, the Sun and the Moon.’
- ‘The idea of [Shintoism] revolves round belief in animalism. This ideology asserts that human souls are merely animals sans spirituality.’
- ‘The only possibly offensive content to Christians here is the religion of animalism and the presence of magic.’
- ‘It is difficult to categorize the religion of the tribal people. It is a mixture of many influences including animalism, nature-worship, shamanism, and ancestor worship.’
- ‘Among objects which played the most important role in the Proto-Indo-European beliefs we should emphasize sacred animals. It is scientifically proved that animalism was one of the earliest stages of the religious development of mankind.’
- ‘Their religion, which exhibits features of animism, animalism, anthropomorphism, nature-worship, fetishism, ancestor-worship is under the control, guidance and supervision of the village.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.