One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Behavior that is characteristic of or appropriate to animals, particularly in being physical and instinctive.
- ‘McCann refuses to sanitize or romanticize sexuality's raw animalism.’
- ‘You lust for me with a fierce animalism but you're also bewitched by my mind and my soul.’
- ‘In the eighteenth century madness was seen as either animalism, best controlled by harsh restraint, or as imbalances in bodily humours, treated by bleeding.’
- ‘‘This insanity of his can be excused,’ she said with a glint of animalism in her eyes.’
- ‘He had never seen such a display of unadulterated animalism before, and could only wonder what her mother must've been like.’
- ‘If the idea was to match Steed's well-aged charms with Gambit's brash animalism, it doesn't gel.’
- ‘In this sublime tangle, Sethe commits an ‘unnatural’ act in order to achieve the eminently cultured end of saving her children from the barbarism, the animalism, of slavery.’
- ‘The, ‘Flight or Fight’ mechanism is Mankind's last direct link to animalism, which Civilisation still seeks to expunge from the human psyche.’
- ‘The example given is that of the obligation to become a subject, to place oneself above the basic human animalism.’
- 1.1 Religious worship of or concerning animals.
- ‘It is difficult to categorize the religion of the tribal people. It is a mixture of many influences including animalism, nature-worship, shamanism, and ancestor worship.’
- ‘The Pagan religion was a mixture of genealogy, politics, and education based largely on ancestor worship. It was not the "idolatry" and "animalism" that Biblical religion has made it out to be.’
- ‘The exhibit looks at animalism and concepts of femininity, sexual fetishes, seduction, excess, coquetry and class standing.’
- ‘The only possibly offensive content to Christians here is the religion of animalism and the presence of magic.’
- ‘The idea of [Shintoism] revolves round belief in animalism. This ideology asserts that human souls are merely animals sans spirituality.’
- ‘I would surmise that the original religion was animalism, leading to the worship of Nature, the Sun and the Moon.’
- ‘Their religion, which exhibits features of animism, animalism, anthropomorphism, nature-worship, fetishism, ancestor-worship is under the control, guidance and supervision of the village.’
- ‘Among objects which played the most important role in the Proto-Indo-European beliefs we should emphasize sacred animals. It is scientifically proved that animalism was one of the earliest stages of the religious development of mankind.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.