Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The science of breeding and caring for farm animals.
- ‘Also expanding steadily are the bilateral exchanges and cooperation in science and technology, agriculture and animal husbandry.’
- ‘Only the Mediterranean coast has rain that is reliable enough to support marginal human activity, with some agriculture and animal husbandry.’
- ‘Farmers should be encouraged to venture into allied activities like animal husbandry and nursery farming to supplement their income.’
- ‘The mainstay of the local economy is agriculture and animal husbandry.’
- ‘They depend on shifting agriculture, complemented by animal husbandry, hunting, fishing, and gathering for their livelihood.’
- ‘The ideal modern farm using ecological and traditional methods integrates plant and animal husbandry.’
- ‘A return to small scale peasant agriculture and animal husbandry could even make the enforcing of proper hygiene and disease control more difficult.’
- ‘Organic farming requires the farmer to be a better farmer, a more observant farmer, a farmer who practices careful agronomy and conscientious animal husbandry.’
- ‘They have been developed with the intention of encouraging beef and sheep farmers to adopt and maintain the highest standards of farm animal husbandry.’
- ‘Agriculture, forestry, animal husbandry, and fishing employ the large majority of the total active population.’
- ‘Agriculture is primarily subsistence farming and animal husbandry.’
- ‘They settled the main islands and developed land-based communities, first with agriculture and then through animal husbandry, particularly pigs.’
- ‘The focus of agricultural extension efforts is mainly on achieving higher productivity, whether in field of agriculture, animal husbandry or dairy.’
- ‘Jacobs contends that both animal husbandry and agriculture were most likely to have originated in the earliest urban settlements.’
- ‘More importantly, rationale policies are urgently needed to promote rational use of antibiotics in poultry, animal husbandry and agriculture.’
- ‘Organic techniques have been developed from an understanding of and research into soil science, crop breeding, animal husbandry and ecology.’
- ‘The third thread Clarke discusses is that of agriculture, particularly animal husbandry and the effort to better understand breeding.’
- ‘The traditional economy of subsistence agriculture and animal husbandry was replaced by a commercial economy, centered in expanding urban areas.’
- ‘No agriculture or animal husbandry was practised, subsistence economies being based on hunting and fishing.’
- ‘Many people are dependent on agriculture and on animal husbandry to make a living and there is a clear danger of food and fodder shortages and longer-term economic problems as a result of lost livelihoods.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.