One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The quantity of rotation of a body, which is the product of its moment of inertia and its angular velocity.
- ‘He has bombarded his samples with circularly polarized light, which contains photons with spin angular momentum.’
- ‘Keep in mind that as the radius of the cloud decreased, the angular momentum didn't decrease, and so the speed of the spin increased.’
- ‘The reason for the Zeeman effect is that in a magnetic field, the angular momentum quantum state can undergo a displacement from degeneracy.’
- ‘They reasoned that because the wake vortices contain a lot of rotation, or angular momentum, then perhaps injecting a counteracting momentum into the wake would slow things down.’
- ‘An equilibrium rotation rate is eventually reached where the angular momentum shed by emitting gravitational radiation matches the angular momentum being added to the pulsar by its companion star.’
- ‘To see how it works, consider the angular momentum or ‘spin ‘of an electron.’’
- ‘For example, simulations could check that energy and angular momentum are conserved properly on the horizon.’
- ‘Bruns proved in 1887 that apart from the 10 classical integrals, 6 for the centre of gravity, 3 for angular momentum and one for energy, no others could exist.’
- ‘The only things they can know about the material trapped within the black hole horizon is its total mass, its total angular momentum, and its total electric charge.’
- ‘Depending on factors such as its mass, temperature, ratio of neutrons to protons, and angular momentum, the nucleus can exhibit a range of intricate and often puzzling behaviors.’
- ‘He went on to work on the interaction of diatomic molecules with precessing electrons, studying the angular momentum within the molecule itself.’
- ‘It turns out that, both classically and quantum mechanically, there is a close connection between a particle's magnetic moment and its angular momentum.’
- ‘There are four quantum numbers, n, l, m, and m s, that describe the energy levels, angular momentum, magnetic properties, and spin of the atom.’
- ‘The orbital quantum number, l, gives the angular momentum of the electron.’
- ‘Because the wheels are moving slow, the angular momentum is less and the direction of rotation is easily changed.’
- ‘This transfer changes the angular momentum of the stars, and changes their separation and orbital periods.’
- ‘Since angular momentum is conserved we stay in a stable orbit.’
- ‘The orbital angular momentum of the silver atom is actually zero, not h / 2 as presumed in the Bohr model.’
- ‘As the Earth's speed of rotation diminishes owing to tidal friction, its angular momentum falls.’
- ‘The angular momentum lost by the Earth's axial rotation appears in the lunar orbit, the total angular momentum being conserved.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.