Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Filled with deep anxiety, especially about oneself or about the nature of existence.‘frustrated, angst-ridden teenagers’
tormented, troubled, anguished, agonized, distressed, tortured, harrowed, racked with suffering, angst-ridden, ground down, worn out, despairingView synonyms
- ‘The image of the poor, angst-ridden artist suffering to write dark and depressing songs is all too common on the musical landscape.’
- ‘In 1979, I was a particularly angst-ridden teen.’
- ‘From confused childhood and angst-ridden teen years to life in repressed rural Ireland during the 1970s, Joseph ploughs on, always looking in from the outside.’
- ‘Cusack is playing a character we've all come to know and love, an angst-ridden guy who can't seem to figure out his life.’
- ‘Popular and prize-winning, these angst-ridden accounts of the aspiring outsider seem to sweep the bestseller stakes.’
- ‘It was his music that voiced a generation of angst-ridden kids.’
- ‘The quartet sit at the table with its half drunk bottle of red wine and wander around the stage emoting theatrically as if they were at some particularly angst-ridden North London dinner party to which you wouldn't want an invitation.’
- ‘Blogs were once the domain of angst-ridden teens and doomed presidential candidates.’
- ‘Like an angst-ridden college kid on a first date, they often try a bit too hard to please and have limited funds with which to impress.’
- ‘He is just as angst-ridden and distraught as he was when he first amazed the world.’
- ‘The good news is that fans of angst-ridden, dumb teenage rock will find plenty to jump about to; the bad news is, very few other listeners will.’
- ‘Maybe blogs could have saved him, like they've saved so many other angst-ridden people in their 20s and 30s.’
- ‘Aren't we all tired of images of angst-ridden, violent, attention-hungry teenagers?’
- ‘He can't be bothered with angst-ridden coming-of-age tales.’
- ‘There are a lot of loud guitars, screaming vocals and angst-ridden lyrics, but it all sounds very freeze-dried and lacking in genuine emotional involvement.’
- ‘Stef Salmon gives a well modulated performance as the angst-ridden main character.’
- ‘Unlike their angst-ridden counterparts, they just don't seem to take themselves seriously.’
- ‘In practice they were not a cohesive group, and their art became an angst-ridden type of Expressionism.’
- ‘The kids shout out the surly, angst-ridden lyrics.’
- ‘Why did she feel the need to make yet another angst-ridden teen movie?’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.