An abnormal growth produced by the dilatation or new formation of blood vessels.
- ‘The laser can also provide relief for symptoms caused by benign airway tumors such as hamartomas, papillomas, polyps, and angiomas.’
- ‘The physician should check for evidence of chronic alcoholism, including spider angiomata, gynecomastia, enlarged liver, or abnormal blood test results (elevated mean corpuscular volume or g-glutamyl transferase level).’
- ‘Fluid-filled cysts or tumors (benign or cancerous) may develop around the angiomas, worsening these symptoms.’
- ‘Neurological problems include unusual blood vessel growths on the brain called angiomas.’
- ‘Cherry angiomas are acquired vascular lesions that occur in up to 50 percent of adults.’
Late 19th century: from Greek angeion ‘vessel’ + -oma.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.