One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Free from echo.‘an anechoic chamber’
- ‘Initially on ultrasound it will appear as an anechoic suprarenal mass with variable compression and displacement of the kidney.’
- ‘On ultrasound, the diagnosis of cystic lymphangioma is suggested by the presence of a well-marginated, anechoic lesion, typically located at the suprarenal area, which can show shadows or echoes when calcifications are present.’
- ‘My goal in the anechoic chamber was to determine what effect the front-panel controls have on the signal, and if they would allow the loudspeaker to be tuned to produce a flat response across the audio spectrum.’
- ‘The lab includes a fully anechoic chamber for engine and transmission studies as well as a semi-anechoic chamber with a 160 hp chassis-dyno for full vehicle testing.’
- ‘The fact that this has pencil thin walls, is anechoic (has no echoes coming from it), and shows through transmission shows that this is a benign cyst.’
- 1.1 (of a coating or material) tending to deaden sound.
- ‘To achieve this low acoustic signature, the Virginia incorporates newly designed anechoic coatings, isolated deck structures and a new design of propulsor.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.