One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A relatively inactive male sex hormone produced by metabolism of testosterone.
- ‘Genetic deficiency of androsterone UDP-glucuronosyltransferase activity in Wistar rats is due to the loss of enzyme protein.’
- ‘As of now, however, the possible anticonvulsant effects of androsterone have not been well characterized.’
- ‘It is a necessary precursor of the estradiol (female sex hormone), androsterone (male sex hormone), and other hormones.’
- ‘For the male sex hormone the names androsterone and testosterone as specialized terms, and androgens as a collective term, became more frequently used.’
- ‘Men secrete more androsterone than women do, and most men become unable to detect the stuff right around the time they start producing it themselves - at puberty.’
1930s: from andro- + sterol + -one.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.