Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A male sex hormone, such as testosterone.
- ‘Steroid hormones - including estrogens, progesterones, and androgens - modify the growth of certain hormone-dependent cancers.’
- ‘Male steroid sex hormones, androgens, are produced in the testes.’
- ‘Thus, fasciculata and reticularis cells can make corticosteroids and the adrenal androgens, but not aldosterone.’
- ‘Acne commonly begins in adolescence with stimulation of the sebaceous glands by sex hormones, primarily androgens.’
- ‘This means that it interferes with some of the actions of androgens (male sex hormones) within the body.’
1930s: from Greek anēr, andr- man + -gen.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.