The stamens of a flower collectively.
- ‘However, their androecia and gynoecia present considerable diversity.’
- ‘The Caribbean species differs in tepal pubescence as well as in important characters of the androecium and the relationship may not be so close as previously assumed.’
- ‘The androecium of each flower had dehisced on the morning of sampling.’
- ‘Only at a fairly late developmental stage does the corolla finally overtop the androecium and gynoecium.’
- ‘From each plant one randomly chosen, fresh flower was dissected under a binocular microscope to separate the corolla, androecium and gynoecium.’
Mid 19th century: modern Latin, from andro- + Greek oikion ‘house’.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.