One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A social system ruled or dominated by men.
- ‘Although the androcracy defends its control to the death, it is a regime that we as a human race cannot survive.’
- ‘Although female equality has made great progressions within the last century, Western society is still an androcracy, where men remain the dominators, the First Sex.’
- ‘Pervading social relations between men and women, androcracy constitutes the foundation of gender inequality.’
- ‘We considered terms for these and Lloyd came up with the gynarchy and the androcracy, respectively.’
- ‘Status and privilege (such as polygyny, androcracy, preferential access to food and luxuries) of the religious elite and their ability to maintain power, were based to some extent on deception.’
- ‘This transition will not be easy as the forces of the androcracy are, and will continue, fighting back.’
- ‘She likes Toy Story and Ice Age: I think they're visually stunning films that champion androcracy and the triviality of women.’
- ‘And at the end of the book she envisions a return to that purity, either through the destruction of humanity by androcracy, or a revival of gylany.’
- ‘Nowhere is the androcracy of boys’ toys more evident than in ‘Toy Story 2,’ where just two out of Andy's 16 toys (not including his 200 toy soldiers) are female.’
- ‘Despite the Greek Republic being described as a democracy and idealised, it was an androcracy.’
- ‘For example, at ‘governmental forms’ Garner provides a list of 21 types of governments, from androcracy to theocracy.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.