Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A social system ruled or dominated by men.
- ‘Despite the Greek Republic being described as a democracy and idealised, it was an androcracy.’
- ‘We considered terms for these and Lloyd came up with the gynarchy and the androcracy, respectively.’
- ‘For example, at ‘governmental forms’ Garner provides a list of 21 types of governments, from androcracy to theocracy.’
- ‘Although the androcracy defends its control to the death, it is a regime that we as a human race cannot survive.’
- ‘Status and privilege (such as polygyny, androcracy, preferential access to food and luxuries) of the religious elite and their ability to maintain power, were based to some extent on deception.’
- ‘And at the end of the book she envisions a return to that purity, either through the destruction of humanity by androcracy, or a revival of gylany.’
- ‘This transition will not be easy as the forces of the androcracy are, and will continue, fighting back.’
- ‘She likes Toy Story and Ice Age: I think they're visually stunning films that champion androcracy and the triviality of women.’
- ‘Nowhere is the androcracy of boys’ toys more evident than in ‘Toy Story 2,’ where just two out of Andy's 16 toys (not including his 200 toy soldiers) are female.’
- ‘Pervading social relations between men and women, androcracy constitutes the foundation of gender inequality.’
- ‘Although female equality has made great progressions within the last century, Western society is still an androcracy, where men remain the dominators, the First Sex.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.