One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
And similar things; et cetera.
- ‘I've spent the entire day sorting and washing baby clothes and the like.’
- ‘The boot includes hooks for shopping bags and the like and the exterior is enhanced by alloy wheels.’
- ‘Eton food was all horribly unimaginative, stews and the like, and the only thing I enjoyed was fish.’
- ‘Writers of fiction often use the same effect to present swift action, changes in thinking, and the like.’
- ‘His siblings all went into law, medicine and the like, but he had a more artistic bent.’
- ‘Many passed up far better paid jobs to work for peanuts as MP's researchers and the like.’
- ‘I owe some of my initial successes to old friends at Oxford who put me in touch with publishers and the like.’
- ‘We had no TV, no video games and the like, but we accepted life and got on with it.’
- ‘The old kitchen garden was also replanted, with vines, apricots, peaches, and the like.’
- ‘We need to look at how we can strengthen families, parenting skills, and the like.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.