Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A port on the Adriatic coast of central Italy, capital of Marche region; population 102,047 (2008)
A chicken of a breed with mottled black and white plumage.
- ‘As well as individual success for the Ancona, Mr Addison's birds also won a string of prizes at the Staffordshire show in classes for Old English Game bantams, pullets and Weaten hens.’
- ‘Originally known as Black Leghorns, Anconas have lustrous black feathers, some tipped with white, giving a beautiful mottled appearance.’
- ‘The Ancona's feathers are black, some being tipped white, giving the bird a pretty mottled appearance.’
- ‘Anconas are a little heavier than Leghorns and lay good sized white eggs.’
- ‘The Ancona originated near the city of Ancona, Italy, from early Leghorns and other breeds.’
Mid 19th century: from the place name Ancona(see Ancona).
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.