Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The region around the Mediterranean and the Near East before the fall of the Western Roman Empire in AD 476.
- ‘However, the study of dress in the ancient world has been shamefully undervalued.’
- ‘The origin of money in the form of coins in the ancient world is contested.’
- ‘When we think of the ancient world, we may perhaps think of the Hebrews, Greeks and Romans.’
- ‘Such custom was what kept the ancient world from descending into anarchy.’
- ‘Archaeologists have used ground-penetrating geophysics to map out the greatest harbour of the ancient world.’
- ‘How Petra never became the eighth wonder of the ancient world will forever remain a mystery.’
- ‘Just why hunters and gatherers in this region of the ancient world turned to agriculture is difficult to say.’
- ‘But to apply such criteria to the ancient world is, of course, to use language which is both very modern and highly contested.’
- ‘It is also present in Yellowstone Park in a continent unknown to the ancient world.’
- ‘It was one of the most beautiful cities of the ancient world up to the time it was destroyed by the Carthaginians in 406 BC.’
- ‘In the ancient world, the region of Tyre and Sidon was the capital of the purple dye industry.’
- ‘The Greeks considered the Persians the evil empire of the ancient world, says John Spurling.’
- ‘In the ancient world, the sacred and profane were inextricably intertwined.’
- ‘Some of you might remember a venerable institution from the ancient world called the Temple of Ishtar.’
- ‘With these resources Sardis became a centre of trade and industry in the ancient world.’
- ‘In the ancient world, the sense of identity or selfhood was closely linked to the place of humans in the cosmos.’
- ‘But unfortunately, it is a goal that cannot be achieved for a particular battle in the ancient world.’
- ‘Hume argued that slave populations in the ancient world were incapable of a positive natural rate of increase.’
- ‘A country known in the ancient world as Mesopotamia, it became part of the Ottoman Empire in 1638.’
- ‘Of all the cultural mysteries passed down from the ancient world, none beguiles us more than that of the Great Pyramid of Ancient Egypt.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.