Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of a doll) having the sexual organs plainly represented.
- ‘The use of anatomically correct dolls has been frowned upon and although these were perfectly ordinary toys, the practice using dolls has to be viewed with care.’
- ‘It was only the size of one of Katie's baby dolls, but it was perfectly proportioned and anatomically correct.’
- ‘In the course of their pretrial interrogations, the children in Kelly Michaels' case were given knives and forks and anatomically correct dolls.’
- ‘The child was referred in October 1986 to SATU where she was seen by Woods and interviewed with the use of play materials and anatomically correct dolls.’
- ‘He is anatomically correct both in his fly-zone and no-fly-zone.’
- ‘How does this apply to ‘outsider’ artists, like Henry Darger, or Morton Bartlett, who made anatomically correct dolls in the 1960s ‘for company’?’
- ‘The idea for the Amamanta Family of anatomically correct dolls had been born.’
- ‘The exhibit begins with a life-size, anatomically correct, glass model of a male, whose organs, muscles, and bones can be seen through a clear plastic skin.’
- ‘In any case, Dan, I promise you that among all the women who think you're a doll, plenty will consider you the anatomically correct kind.’
- ‘The doll comes in black lingerie, is anatomically correct and has tan lines!’
- ‘And I don't want your new-fangled 3D super spectacular improved and anatomically correct Mario or Zelda.’
- ‘In case you missed it, farmer created an anatomically correct portrait of Karl Rove.’
- ‘Clint and Donald Olson of this Wisconsin city spent many hours creating their anatomically correct sculpture of a snow man, but after getting complaints from other residents, police ordered the brothers to alter the figure's anatomy.’
- ‘If its anatomically correct and everything, I think a real doll could be a great learning tool in health and anatomy classes.’
- ‘Ninety-nine 4-year-old male and female children were asked to name body parts on a same-sex, anatomically correct doll.’
- ‘The executive producer, a short, red-faced Washingtonian named Mick Kaczorowski, told me they'd even commissioned a full-scale, anatomically correct mammoth carcass made of polyurethane and yak hair.’
- ‘Now I marvel at the evidence that it ever was: notes, photos, a tiny, anatomically correct heart cast in pink plastic I was given as a gift.’
- ‘Like all the other porn star sex dolls, this one is anatomically correct in every way.’
- ‘The dolls, which were anatomically correct, gender diverse, and racially diverse, were distributed at random.’
- ‘The researchers used anatomically correct, male and female modified Cabbage Patch dolls that represented all ethnicities.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.