Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of a lens system) constructed so that the astigmatism of each element is canceled out.
- ‘Important special cases of stationary anastigmatic mounts and their performance are presented.’
- ‘By increasing 2, as compared to the anastigmatic design, the coma can be cancelled completely.’
- ‘A table of parameters for anastigmatic lenses is included.’
- ‘Devices that reduce technical difficulty and anastigmatic time when repairing large vessels such as the thoracic aorta would be beneficial.’
- ‘It is thus an object of this invention to provide a three mirror anastigmatic optical system employing conic mirrors wherein the system is off-axis in both aperture and field angle.’
Late 19th century: from an- ‘not’ + astigmatic (see astigmatism).
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.