One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of a lens system) constructed so that the astigmatism of each element is canceled out.
- ‘Devices that reduce technical difficulty and anastigmatic time when repairing large vessels such as the thoracic aorta would be beneficial.’
- ‘It is thus an object of this invention to provide a three mirror anastigmatic optical system employing conic mirrors wherein the system is off-axis in both aperture and field angle.’
- ‘A table of parameters for anastigmatic lenses is included.’
- ‘By increasing 2, as compared to the anastigmatic design, the coma can be cancelled completely.’
- ‘Important special cases of stationary anastigmatic mounts and their performance are presented.’
Late 19th century: from an- ‘not’ + astigmatic (see astigmatism).
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.