Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Geometry using coordinates.
- ‘Miss Scott was a geometer who whenever possible brought to analytical geometry the full resources of pure geometrical reasoning.’
- ‘In 1876 Veronese was appointed as assistant in analytical geometry on the strength of his paper on Pascal's hexagram which he had completed by this time.’
- ‘Judging by the preview page, which also has PDFs of introductory material and the first chapter, I doubt if it'll change established analytical geometry.’
- ‘The new algebra and analytical geometry of Viète was read by Newton from Frans van Schooten's edition of Viète's collected works published in 1646.’
- ‘From September to December 1883 Stieltjes lectured on analytical geometry and on descriptive geometry.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.