(chiefly of a drug) acting to relieve pain.
painkilling, anodyne, pain-relievingpalliativeView synonyms
- ‘The number of analgesic tablets taken during the study period was recorded.’
- ‘The regular intake of three or more analgesic tablets daily or narcotics or ergotamine on more than two days a week are suggested arbitrary limits.’
- ‘Initially treatment consisted of the provision of a sling and analgesic medication.’
- ‘They are given a log to record the quantity and type of pain experienced and the time and type of analgesic medications used, as well as a visual analog scale to score their daily pain rating.’
- ‘Because of the high incidence of breakthrough pain, it is important for patients to have immediate-release analgesic medication available.’
An analgesic drug.
painkiller, painkilling drug, anodyne, pain relieverpalliativeView synonyms
- ‘The question of interest is not so much whether they are potent analgesics compared with codeine but, rather, which painful conditions they are effective in.’
- ‘Non-narcotic analgesics can be used for mild to moderate migraines that are not associated with nausea and vomiting.’
- ‘Codeine, morphine, and fentanyl were the analgesics used most often.’
- ‘Opioid analgesics or morphine-based drugs form the cornerstone of burn pain treatment.’
- ‘You can take analgesics such as paracetamol, or anti-inflammatories to reduce any swelling.’