Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of a person) excessively orderly and fussy (supposedly owing to conflict over toilet-training in infancy)
- ‘He knew from experience not to try to force others into the same anal-retentive habits he had.’
- ‘A sleeper hit in Britain, Leaves has managed to bring both professional editors and amateur anal-retentive sticklers out of the closet to exalt the splendor of semicolons, the cunning of commas, the debonair of the dash.’
- ‘And here's the proof: a glorious four-CD retrospective that gathers album tracks, B-sides and rarities for fans and anal-retentive obsessives alike - and it's a joy.’
- ‘The mechanics at Hawk are very good at getting them absolutely immaculate, just the way I like them because they are the kind of anal-retentive people like me who like to get the bike so it's clean enough to eat your dinner off.’
- ‘You've gotta be a micromanaging, anal-retentive control freak.’
A person who is excessively orderly and fussy.
- ‘The lyrics are at once sensitive, dramatic, and tragic, but so entertaining that even the anal-retentive could lose themselves in the sheer buzz of it all.’
- ‘The stuff you buy is the old pure beer, brewed and fermented by anal-retentives from ancient recipes.’
- ‘Now there's an anal-retentive if I ever saw one.’
- ‘But, once again, we're just being anal-retentives so don't mind us.’
- ‘The last couple of weeks have seen my routine disrupted, which is traumatic for us anal-retentives.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.