Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Species formation without branching of the evolutionary line of descent.Compare with cladogenesis
- ‘This process of organic transformation includes anagenesis as well as cladogenesis.’
- ‘Evolutionary taxonomists such as Simpson use both cladogenesis and anagenesis in their classifications, arguing that taxonomic groups should be based on the branching points in evolution and the degree of difference between groups.’
- ‘For this reason, it should come as little surprise that proponents of a hierarchical approach to macroevolution do not consider anagenesis to be the dominant mode of species transformation.’
- ‘However, in contrast, his reading of evolutionary theory is both closely linked to the modern synthesis and rejects anagenesis .’
- ‘Contrary to some critics of parsimony methods, cladists neither deny the possibility that true ancestors are being sampled nor reject the reality of anagenesis.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.