Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of a fish, such as the salmon) migrating up rivers from the sea to spawn.The opposite of catadromous
- ‘Pacific salmon are anadromous (sea-run) fish that migrate from freshwater to the ocean and then back to freshwater to spawn.’
- ‘For example, the anadromous osmerids typically spawn in shallow water.’
- ‘Unlike lampreys, salmon, and other anadromous fish, which migrate from the ocean to fresh water to breed, eels head in the opposite direction.’
- ‘Although most representatives of the species are of the inland form, some populations of bull trout are anadromous and can co-exist with dolly varden char along the coast.’
- ‘Chinook Salmon are anadromous, making great migrations out to the deepest parts of the ocean and returning as mature adults to their natal streams.’
Mid 18th century: from Greek anadromos (from ana- up + dromos running) + -ous.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.