One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of a fish such as the salmon) migrating up rivers from the sea to spawn.The opposite of catadromous
- ‘Although most representatives of the species are of the inland form, some populations of bull trout are anadromous and can co-exist with dolly varden char along the coast.’
- ‘For example, the anadromous osmerids typically spawn in shallow water.’
- ‘Chinook Salmon are anadromous, making great migrations out to the deepest parts of the ocean and returning as mature adults to their natal streams.’
- ‘Unlike lampreys, salmon, and other anadromous fish, which migrate from the ocean to fresh water to breed, eels head in the opposite direction.’
- ‘Pacific salmon are anadromous (sea-run) fish that migrate from freshwater to the ocean and then back to freshwater to spawn.’
Mid 18th century: from Greek anadromos (from ana- ‘up’ + dromos ‘running’) + -ous.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.