The synthesis of complex molecules in living organisms from simpler ones together with the storage of energy; constructive metabolism.
- ‘During anabolism, small molecules are changed into larger, more complex molecules of carbohydrate, protein, and fat.’
- ‘The synthetic metabolic process of anabolism or the eliminative process of catabolism results in some chemical by-product that requires elimination.’
- ‘In healthy elderly men, age-related decline in quadriceps muscle force has been related to the reduced circulating levels of testosterone, which is able to stimulate muscle protein anabolism and motor neuron size.’
- ‘Better overall metabolic control enables you to tilt the balance in favor of protein anabolism and muscle growth as well as fat loss.’
- ‘Along with all of those benefits, it does exactly what all hardcore trainers want - increases testosterone for muscle anabolism and decreases cortisol to prevent muscle catabolism.’
Late 19th century: from Greek anabolē ascent from ana- up + ballein to throw.