One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1as modifier The straight-chain pentyl radical —C₅H₁₁.
- ‘Ethanol was then replaced with amyl acetate in preparation for critical point drying with liquid carbon dioxide.’
- ‘The main component of the fragrance is amyl acetate (which is also the smell of nail polish remover).’
- ‘Once again, there's an impressive list of toxins found in these products that may include naptha, phenol, diglycol laurate, amyl acetate or nitrobenzene.’
- ‘The powdered bark can also be treated with solvents, such as toluene, or amyl alcohol to extract the quinine.’
- ‘While nail polish remover or amyl acetate will remove polish, both may affect the vinyl.’
- 1.1informal short for amyl nitrite
- ‘Wearing gasmasks with a small canister of amyl attached is really great for morale on the battlefield of love - but I digress.’
- ‘Effective treatment was not available until Brunton introduced nitrate of amyl in 1867.’
- ‘The blurb makes it all sound far more titillating than it probably is, but they're right about the leather and amyl though.’
Mid 19th century: from Latin amylum ‘starch’ + -yl.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.