One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A semisynthetic form of penicillin used to treat infections of the urinary and respiratory tracts.
- ‘The liver is also actively involved in detoxifying and excreting into the bile many different drugs, including sulfonamides, penicillin, ampicillin and erythromycin to name a few.’
- ‘The patients had been treated with ampicillin, penicillin, or chloramphenicol.’
- ‘For urinary tract infection, we examined resistance to ampicillin or amoxicillin and trimethoprim.’
- ‘A pink rash can occur all over the body in children who have been treated with ampicillin or amoxicillin.’
- ‘If you are given treatment for a bacterial infection with the antibiotics ampicillin or amoxycillin, you may develop a rash of small red spots.’
1960s: blend of amino and a contraction of penicillin.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.