One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A synthetic, addictive, mood-altering drug, used illegally as a stimulant and legally as a prescription drug to treat children with ADD and adults with narcolepsy.
- ‘Caffeine is addictive and hooks you in the same way as amphetamines, cocaine and heroin.’
- ‘Cocaine and amphetamine have been associated with non-cardiogenic pulmonary oedema and a dilated cardiomyopathy.’
- ‘By the time he was 21, he was downing two and a half bottles of rum a day, washed down by cannabis, cocaine, amphetamines and heroin.’
- ‘In neither case did urine screening detect cocaine, amphetamines, or other abused drugs.’
- ‘Ritalin is a stimulant whose effects are similar to those of amphetamine, methamphetamine and cocaine.’
- ‘At that point, they either come to treatment or they switch to another drug, typically amphetamine.’
- ‘The hypertensive effects of cocaine and amphetamines also are sympathomimetic.’
- ‘These include amphetamines, antidepressant drugs, caffeine, corticosteroids and lithium.’
- ‘The stimulant drugs are based on amphetamine and carry a risk of sudden death from fatal heart rhythms.’
- ‘However, we should note that the most popular drug used by teenagers was marijuana, not amphetamine.’
- ‘Nicotine has a similar addiction liability profile to cocaine, morphine, or amphetamine.’
- ‘Experts expect in the coming years a boom of synthetic drugs such as amphetamines and Ecstasy, which are even more dangerous.’
- ‘Scientists don't know much about how drugs like amphetamine and Prozac interact in young children.’
- ‘In fact, daily use of tobacco seems to correlate more to the use of cocaine and amphetamine than does occasional use of cannabis.’
- ‘Heroin, amphetamine, cocaine and cannabis were hidden in large canisters of glue.’
- ‘These were followed by methadone, then amphetamines and methamphetamines.’
- ‘A drugs haul of heroin, cannabis, cocaine, amphetamines and ecstasy tablets were seized in raids on 27 houses.’
- ‘Historical evidence suggests that law enforcement has been useful in the control of alcohol, tobacco, amphetamine, and opioids.’
- ‘The claimant said that she committed her offences in order to raise cash for drugs, those drugs being originally amphetamine and later heroin.’
- ‘She was a heroin addict and used amphetamines, but had started a methadone programme when she learned she was pregnant.’
1930s: abbreviation of its chemical name, a(lpha-)m(ethyl) phe(ne)t(hyl)amine.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.