One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The strength of an electric current in amperes.
- ‘The voltage flowing through a lightning bolt can reach 200 million volts, and combined with the amperage (which can be anything from a few thousand to tens of thousands of amps) some of these beasts are killers.’
- ‘The breaker trips when the sensor determines that the amperage at the hot terminal is not equal to the amperage at the neutral terminal.’
- ‘Even multiple potatoes may not generate enough amperage.’
- ‘Talk to an electrician and find out just how much amperage you safely have.’
- ‘The electric fence should be high voltage, low amperage, so that no harm can be done to any animal or person.’
- ‘High voltage and low amperage were used to increase the contrast between the dense tantalum markers and the bone.’
- ‘Also, check to see if the cable will be able to handle the amperage that you will be using it for.’
- ‘Combined with the high amperage, lightning has enough energy to kill instantly.’
- ‘If the amperage exceeds that limit, they melt and break the circuit.’
- ‘The arrival of energy at the target is staggered over three hundred nanoseconds, so that the amperage arrives less like a brick wall that would vaporize the plate and more in controllable increments.’
- ‘More, every accessory is powered by a relay, rather than running the full amperage through the control switch.’
- ‘When the capacitor discharges those volts, it delivers an amperage comparable to stun guns.’
- ‘In an electrical circuit, the number of electrons that are moving is called the amperage or the current, and it is measured in amps.’
- ‘The speed controllers, or motor drives, provide the necessary amperage to the motors at the computer's request.’
- ‘Less sophisticated chargers might monitor voltage or amperage only and make certain assumptions about average battery characteristics.’
- ‘In several cases, batteries have exploded as voltage dropped and amperage increased.’
- ‘And, because the sprinklers operate at lower pressures and amperage than standard electric sprinklers, power and wire costs are substantially reduced.’
- ‘Connect the green, white, and black wire of the correct voltage to the corresponding wires of an extension cord rated for the amperage for your outlet.’
- ‘Secondly, the rate of heat is a result of amperage, not voltage, so what does that have to do with the voltage?’
- ‘Before the flight, find where the spare fuses are stored, determine how to select the right amperage and go through the replacement procedure.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.