One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A broad-spectrum semisynthetic penicillin, closely related to ampicillin but better absorbed when taken orally, used especially for ear and upper respiratory infections.
- ‘If you are given treatment for a bacterial infection with the antibiotics ampicillin or amoxycillin, you may develop a rash of small red spots.’
- ‘The curative treatment recommended for endocarditis combines penicillin or amoxicillin with gentamicin.’
- ‘Otherwise, amoxicillin and ampicillin have almost the same spectrum of antimicrobial activity.’
- ‘For urinary tract infection, we examined resistance to ampicillin or amoxicillin and trimethoprim.’
- ‘Most of the medicines were antibiotics, such as amoxycillin and ampicillin.’
1970s: from amino + oxy- + penicillin.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.