One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Relating to the amnion.
- ‘Most preterm births follow spontaneous, unexplained preterm labor, or spontaneous preterm prelabour rupture of the amniotic membranes.’
- ‘A pregnant woman goes into hospital, six-months pregnant, and, after a doctor confuses her for a different patient and tries to remove a non-existent coil, she is given an abortion after her amniotic sac is pierced.’
- ‘The doctor can then open the amniotic sac and remove the baby.’
- ‘Before a baby is born, it is surrounded by water in the amniotic sac.’
- ‘A foetus was aborted at 25 weeks because it had amniotic band syndrome, which causes deformities in the body parts.’
- ‘It is possible for infection to occur, and miscarriage is a further possibility, for example if the amniotic sac has been punctured during the procedure.’
- ‘It is one of the few bacteria that can get past all the unborn baby's defences, crossing the cervix and amniotic membrane to create a pre-birth infection.’
- ‘And according to the results of their studies, these so-called amniotic epithelial cells could in fact be directed to form liver, pancreas, heart and nerve cells under the right laboratory conditions.’
- ‘Both of these procedures are left until after the sixteenth week of gestation in order to reduce the risk of injection outside the amniotic cavity.’
- ‘Occurring in one in 15,000 live births, they are produced by thin bands of amniotic membrane wrapping around various parts of the extremity in utero.’
- ‘Birth hormones are injected into the amniotic sac to induce premature birth.’
- ‘A suction-irrigation pump equipped with a fluid monitor is used to irrigate and replace the fluid in the amniotic cavity.’
- ‘They found two genes switched on in the amniotic epithelial cells that heretofore were believed to only be expressed in embryonic stem cells.’
- ‘Fortunately, the majority of newborns exhibit excellent lower extremity vascular supply, unless it is compromised by an extrinsic factor, such as an intrauterine amniotic band.’
- ‘The stalk lengthens as the fetus develops within its amniotic sac, and at the uterine end the blood vessels become part of the developing placenta.’
- ‘You may feel a sharp stinging sensation when the needle pierces the amniotic sac but this should only last a few seconds.’
- ‘Down here in the amniotic warmth of Scotland's only heated salt-water pool you can lie back, watch the sea birds soaring overhead and look deep into your own soul.’
- ‘The amniotic sac that contains your baby begins to form about 12 days after conception.’
- ‘Rupture of the amniotic membranes can lead to formation of amniotic bands.’
- ‘Empirical antibiotic treatment is often indicated for preterm infants who seem well but who have specific risk factors for systemic infection, such as prolonged rupture of amniotic membranes.’
Early 19th century: formed irregularly from obsolete amnios ‘amnion’ + -otic, perhaps via French amniotique.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.