One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A white crystalline solid used as a fertilizer and as a component of some explosives.
Chemical formula: NH₄NO₃
- ‘A stable form of nitrogen such as ammonium nitrate is recommended to reduce volatilization.’
- ‘Therefore, ammonium nitrate is the preferred nitrogen fertilizer for topdressing where incorporation is impossible.’
- ‘In that investigation detectives arrested eight suspects across southern England and seized half a ton of ammonium nitrate, a chemical fertiliser used in many bomb attacks.’
- ‘When the number of nodules is insufficient to supply adequate nitrogen, it will be necessary to supply some nitrogen to the crop in the form of urea or ammonium nitrate.’
- ‘One popular explosive for industrial use is made from fertilizers like ammonium nitrate or urea, fuel oil, and nitric or sulfuric acid.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.